Just when I thought I have exhausted all good Chinese restaurants in the GTA, another new discovery emerged out of the blue that is definitely worth a visit!
Tugged inside a small obscure plaza next to the Burger King, 'the Brilliant Chinese Restaurant' on 7220 Kenndy Road, Unit 18 indeed possesses a kitchen that can churn out some 'brilliant' Chinese dishes.
Tonight, our party of six, led by my foodie brother-in-law had a great dinner comprising of a few special 'advanced order' and normal a la carte dishes. We had the following:
- Braised Fish Maw and Goose Web with baby mustard greens in abalone/oyster sauce. Fork and off-the-bone tender, this dish was seasoned perfectly and yummy, so much so that, we even divide up the sauce on the main plate!
- Steamed minced seafood 'egg white wrapping guava shape' dumpling. Unlike most version of this dish, where emphasis was placed on the dumpling stuffing, here, the chef also enhanced the sauce with a tasty pseudo-western Bechamel style sauce'. Light dumpling paired with a fairly rich sauce resulting in a nicely balanced delicious dish. ( advanced order )
- Baked Stuffed Scallop with a French/Portuguese touch. Chopped up sea scallops with diced vegetable in a 'Portuguese style sauce'. This Sino-Western fusion dish was very tasty but a bit heavy for my liking. ( advanced order )
- Crispy skin, de-boned chicken stuffed with diced Chinese preserved sausages and meat glutinous rice. A very labour intensive dish, the ultra crispy skin and the flavourful stuffing was surprisingly non-greasy and extremely delicious! ( advanced order )
- Stirred fry beef flank steak with ginger juice and rice wine infused Chinese broccoli. Great wok-hay technique. The photo I posted speaks a thousand words!
- Bone-in and skin-on mutton hot-pot stew with Chinese mushrooms, winter bamboo shoots, water chestnuts in a herbed bean-curd/miso broth. This is the star of the evening. A great tasting and body warming dish, perfect for a frigid winter evening. The dipping sauce condiment was addictively tasty!
- Complimentary taro, sago rice and coconut milk dessert
Total bill comes to $170 inclusive of tax and tips.
BTW, service was extremely friendly and efficient.
If one would like a change of scenery from the usual, O'Mei, Yang's, Emperor, Casa's...etc. This, slightly more csaual place with some pretty good food is definitely worth a try!
Brilliant Chinese Restaurant
7220 Kennedy Rd, Markham, ON L3R0N4, CA