9 PlacesExpand Map
I'm good for two trips a winter,a week to ten days each,for 25+ years. While I have nothing groundbreaking, maybe I can just add to the information base for locals and visitors...
1. Bay Bay's has replaced Havana on S. Dixie as my go to spot when I have to be at PBI. Havana stills does great tostones and the other traditional dishes well, and I love having a café con leche at the outside counter as a sorta welcome to South Florida, but Bay Bay's chicken is exceptional. Delicious juicy chicken with that peppery coating. I do sometimes bring my own maple syrup for the waffles and who doesn't like smelling like fried chicken for the rest of the day?
2.Bamboo Fire still has Beverly and Donald knocking it out of the park. The garlic with a little eggplant, perfect tostones, jerk meatballs (why has nobody else thought of this?), and my favorite main, chicken curry and roti. Calypso lemonade or a beer, sit outside, all good.
3. Panettiere Bakery, delicious chocolate croissant and would have replaced Way Beyond Bagels for my favorite bec (bacon, egg and cheese sandwich) but as excellent as the bec on a croissant is, with a 12 ounce coffee, 11 dollars is just silly. and offensive. and a non starter.
4. Steve's Wood Fired Pizza west Boca on Glades, good pizza and apps,good if you are hungry and nearby,like after a movie at Shadowood and don't want to go over to Nick's New Haven which I like better. Their clam by is a delicious tribute to it's home city.
5. Georgia Pig has one of my all time favorite sandwiches,their chopped pork with a squirt of mustard/vinegar sauce on a squishy cheap hamburger bun. I also love the homemade banana pudding as well as their pecan pie. I'm glad I got to bring my son,as we were on the way to Marlin's Park, so we could have both desserts. When I need to go to Fort Lauderdale airport it is my go to spot though in all honesty, sometimes I switch up and get the St.Louis ribs from Tom Jenkins.
5. Popbar in Delray on Atlantic,sucks. No other way to describe it succinctly. I looked in and there was no line so when I saw the line to the corner at Kilwins I should have known better. Three bars, two tasteless. Blindfolded I would not have imagined I was eating pistachio gelato or that my wife was eating almond gelato. My son's bar tasted like strawberry but it was frozen yogurt.
5. Spazio east by the beach, a classic New York slice. Good not to sweet sauce, in the appropriate sauce to cheese ratio. Firm crust with no tip sag. Burger Fi which I always enjoy had a long line so on our way to Pizza Rustica with it solid pizza taglia style slices and decent toppings, we tried Spazio and were happy.
Sunshine, cool ocean water, golf, tennis and sitting by the pool reading the paper. Let's just say it was a good week...
by Greg Stegeman | Barbecue sauce is a blanket term that doesn't necessarily do justice to all the regional styles of...
by Joey Skladany | As a self-proclaimed sauce connoisseur and fan of barbecue varieties specifically, I was more than...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.