I just started reading this board yesterday. Based on what I've read, I have already gone to:
1) Hans Gasthaus - last night, sat in the garden, had a beer and some schnitzelbitz and enjoyed the company of a very friendly black cat.
2) Bohemian Hall - today at noon, had a beer and couldn't believe such a place exists right here in Queens. It feels like Europe. I'm planning to go back tonight when it should be livelier.
3) Pearson's Backyard BBQ - for a midafternoon snack. It's the best BBQ I've had since North Carolina.
4) Went to Atlantic Avenue looking for Arcadian Parish but I was so disappointed to find it's no longer there.
5) Walked up one block to the Long Island Bar and Restaurant - it was closed but from a peak inside, I could tell I want to go back!
6) Stopped in at the Brazenhead (on Atlantic Avenue) for another beer (which I drank while sitting in their garden). This looks like a fun place. They were setting up for a BBQ (chicken, corn, etc. on the grill).
I guess you can tell from the above, my husband and I have a nice quiet (long) weekend to ourselves (for a change) and we're having fun exploring our city.
Thanks for all the great recommendations! I'll try to add some of my own in the days ahead.