2900 31st St (in an industrial park business bldg)
Santa Monica, CA 90405
I have just discovered this place and was floored by it! (I didn't see any posts about it). The food is incredible and the prices are too good to be true - When was the last time you paid $4.95 for a Foie Gras appetizer?
I talked to the director, Sean Ryan, and got the whole scoop on the place. Just don't tell non-chowhound-types - it's small, so it should only be enjoyed by those who can truly appreciate it.
WHAT: "Bistro 31" The restaurant of a culinary school in SM that serves great french food for very little money
WHEN: (The frustrating part) - Only Mon, Tue, Wed and only during the school's semesters (thru 5/29/02, then next semester starting 7/22/02). Lunch 11:30AM - 2:00PM sharp, Dinner 5:45PM - 8:45PM
WHY: Because eating like this costs hundreds of dollars anywhere else
HOW: The only compromises are the atmosphere (it is on the lobby level of a business building, but they try w/music and lighting) and the service (the students are also the servers). True chowhounds won't be discouraged - because, like I, they would rather eat a 5 star meal in a subway station than a 2 star meal in a fancy white-glove restaurant.
MENU SAMPLE (what we had - entire bill w/tax & tip $68.00):
- Oyster Tartare, Brioche
- Tomato-Emmental Tarte Tatin, Hudson Valley Foie Gras ($4.95)
- Morel Mushroom Risotto, Red & Yellow Beet Coulis ($5.75)
- Provencal Terrine, Mesclun, Truffle & Walnut Vinaigrette ($4.75)
- Taboulleh Salad, Smoked Salmon, Creamy Chive Vinaigrette ($4.95)
- Cream of Cauliflower ($2.75)
- Seared Lake Superior Whitefish, Tarragon Emulsion ($12.50)
- Medallions of Veal, Wild Mushrooms, Madeira Jus ($15.25)
- Strawberry Napoleon ($3.00)
- Chocolate Tart ($3.00)