My lovely wife’s birthday is week after next. We moved downtown this past summer; I am feeling tremendous pressure to pick exactly the right spot. I’d very much appreciate any help. My (admittedly neurotic) criteria:
1. She does not eat meat, eats and enjoys fish.
2. I eat meat :).
3. Money is no object except that at the high end we become self-conscious about what we are spending for the experience. I know Barbara Lynch is a genius. We had one of the best meals we have ever had walking in to No. 9, sitting at the bar and having the tasting menu. But can we have a similar experience elsewhere? An up and coming Barbara perhaps? Someplace which we are not competing for a seat with Boston Magazine reading Lexus driving silver haired suburban retirees with too much money?
4. See, I told you I was neurotic.
5. We have made little progress to date mining the South End, seems like we need to get to know it. But anywhere is OK.
6. I like to eat. At heart I’d consider myself a true ‘hound, love holes-in-the wall with great food. If we end up someplace with preciously plated tiny servings of whatever with whatever foam and heirloom whatever that will be a missed opportunity.
7. My lovely wife keeps hearing good things about Eastern Standard Kitchen. Sounds like a place I’d rather reserve for when we are in a larger group, no?
8. I thought maybe high-end sushi but the LW reports that she is ‘tired of having raw fish slapped in front of her’.
9. In that we now live downtown I’d like to find places in which we might be able to develop a relationship with the staff.
10. Places we like (independent of the criteria above): No. 9, Silvertone, Angela’s Café, Prezza
11. Oh wait, should we just go to Prezza? We love it.
12. Talk to me.