What specific items do you love at The Cheese Board?
To get started, here are a few old posts
Morton the Mousse recommends the Istara, Prima Donna Gouda, Bellweather Farms Sheeps Ricotta and the fresh cream cheese. His tip: the signs on the wall “often advertise cheeses that are rare, just came in or are a particularly good batch.”
nja recommends Juniper Grove goat cheeses, in particular the Buche
Robert Lauriston says to try Hoch Ybrig (Gruyere's rich uncle) and anything from Neal's Yard.
The Chowhound Digest says Cheese Board sometimes gets burrata in a Thursday shipment.
- Senior discounts based on age … free cheese to anyone over 100 … make friends at your local nursing home with the 100 year olds and bring them shopping with you.
- There’s a bulk discount for orders for organizations
- Ask at the register if anyone turned in a card to jump to the front of the wait … sure, scummy … but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.
- the cookbook seems to indicate they receive most cheese shipments on Wednesday mornings.
- Love that fruitcake... soaked with three liquors chock full of nuts and fruit like apricots
- Saw Arizmendi does a day of the dead bread. Anyone seen this at Cheese Board? The cookbook mentions it and other holiday baked goods Anyone seen or tried these?
- Bastille Day Baguettes which have garlic & olive oil
- Valnentine’s Day – Dark chocolate loaves
- Day before Easter – hot cross buns ... wish I read the cookbook
- St. Patrick’s day – Irish soda scones
- Thanksgiving – stuffing bread
- Christmas – Florentines (great), holiday loaves, cheese balls, stollen, saffron bread, date spread, gingerbread
- The daily pizza menu is on the website
- On the day before Thanksgiving they have the wild mushroom pizza. Thanks for the yearly reminder, Robert. http://www.chowhound.com/topics/41420...
- If you show up during a slow time and the pizza has been sitting out, your slice comes from a fresh pie and the old pie is turned into extras (RIP Kate Dowling, the mind behind the bonus slice).http://www.chowhound.com/topics/46766...
- Btw, the cookbook says the pizza dough is NOT sourdough
Are they still doing the cheesebar? I don’t see anything on the website http://www.chowhound.com/topics/39565
Some of my favorites …
Recently there were three fabulous Portuguese thistle rennet cheeses.
The star was the Serra da Estrella. When the wheel was cut, both the cheese monger and I went “oooh” at the same time. The oozy interior promised greatness and it was a cheese of greatness.
The other two were Serpa and La Serena but neither as great as the Serra da Estrella More about these cheeses. http://www.chowhound.com/topics/39633...
I enjoyed organic Jean Roussey Munster-Gerome from Alsace.
On Friday they do a usually one-time experimental roll. One amazing roll was a sweet blue cheese & nut mixture topping a yeasty roll.
I miss the brie with the pesto filling … sure it wasn’t cheese sophistication, but it was delicious.
My own often-ordered favorites … no real revelation … Cheese rolls, currant scones, aged gouda (good selection of Dutch cheeses), the great selection of Roquefort’s... and the baguettes still remain my favorite in the Bay Area ... as well as the favorite of my SO.
I’m kind of hoping that people will post on their favorites rather than stuff like “I prefer the baguette at xxx”. Just our own loves. Let’s shuss out the best stuff … to each of our own tastes.
I have never bought the granola, olive oils, vinegars or olives … suggestions?
1504 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94709
Monday, 7 a.m.-1 p.m ... cheese counter closed
Tuesday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m ... cheese counter opens at 10 a.m.
Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m ... cheese counter opens at 10 a.m.
An article about The Cheese Board from The San Francisco Chronicle ... which introduced me to the Cheese Board many decades ago ... long before there was an internet and Chowhound was a twinkle in the founders eyes ... long before anyone imagined there would be the word 'foodies' . This isn't the article that clued me in since the Chronicle's on-line archives only go back to 1995 ... and yes, at that time brie with pesto was cool. Still is to me.
Updated 21 days ago | 49
Updated 15 days ago | 27
Updated 28 days ago | 15
Updated 24 days ago | 13
Updated 17 days ago | 19