Here are my votes for Best in Beijing. What are yours?
1) Made in China - the cleanest Chinese restaurant in the world. Also happens to be a great place in terms of decor and the food, though primarily Northern Chinese, is varied enough that everyone will be happy. The entire kitchen (seperate dumpling and desert stations) is within full view so you feel like you're eating in a NYC "kitchen room". Pricy by Beijing standards.
2) China Club - private club so you must find a member first. Set in the restored courtyard of a former prince, its a historical as well as culinary experience. Owned partly by the owner of Shanghai Tang department stores, this is just one in a series of China Clubs in the most important cities in Greater China (HKG, Shg, Singapore). Known for its Sichuan and Cantonese dishes. By Chinese standards, the prices are ransom level.
3) Jiu Hua ? - Beijing Duck restaurant inside West Gate of Worker's Stadium. Better Beijing Duck than some of the more famous restaurants.
4) Quan Ju De - there are several branches but I've been to a few and you should insist on the original one near of Tianamen's South Gate. It is certainly the most celebrated Peking Duck in China. Huge restaurant on 2 floors. This is where politicians and celebrities eat when in town. The food is quite good, but you're here for the historical experience of eating in a place that is older than the US.
5) Green Tea House - you're paying more for the decor than the food, but the food isn't bad either. Its just not traditional Chinese. Its the Chinese you'd expect to find in Beverly Hills.
6) Ya Wang "Duck King" - reputedly the side dishes are better than the duck here, but this still gets good all around marks.
7) Ho Hai area - too many good restaurants to name. Just hop a cab over there and find the one with the best view of the lake.
8) Serve the People - Best Thai in Beijing and one of the few places near Bar Jie that I actually like. The Chinese restaurant at the corner two stores down is also good.
9) Courtyard - great location and view of Forbidden City. This alone gets the restaurant on the list. Not particularly outstanding food. Forgettable service.
10) Food Court inside Oriental Plaza. Too many good and cheap eats to begin listing them here...You have to buy a prepaid card which is a hassle.
What to avoid? I don't care for the Westernized experience of Bar Jie.