My buddy Matt is driving a meandering route from Salt Lake City to NYC, and planning on hitting some of the better BBQ towns: Kansas City, Memphis, and a few others. My pal and I went on a cue quest 4 years ago (different route & destinations that time) so both of us are dedicated que fanatics.
I've scanned back a year's worth of posts on Midwest to read up on St. Louis and Kansas City (neither of which we visited last time). Here's what I gathered:
1) St. Louis: Generally not known for cue, but Super Smokers, Dexter BBQ and Hickory Log (Dexter, MO), Mama's Coal Pot, and O'Connells seemed interesting. I'm not clear if Mama's and O'Connells are barbecue joints. Your comments?
2) Kansas City: Much heated partisan debate for LC's, Arthur Bryants, Fiorella's, Jakes Eat It and Beat It, etc, all of which seem worthwhile. Any recent updates on closures / downhill alerts / etc?
3) Murphysboro, IL: Last trip, we hit the 17th Street Bar & Grill, and the ribs here were the best I've eaten. Hell, even the sides were outstanding. Matt's going to make an overnight stop near here so's he can eat here twice, then head south toward Memphis.
4) Memphis - I believe Memphis is discussed on the South board, so I'll go read through that board & post any questions over there.
5) Owensboro, KY: Not clear if KY is discussed on Midwest or South board, first of all. If time allows, he may head here for some mutton cue. Last time, we hit Moonlight. The pulled and chopped mutton stood above every other item in the all you can eat buffet. I understand there's another restaurant with exemplary mutton in this part of the world?
Updated 10 months ago | 3
Updated 2 years ago | 13
Updated 5 minutes ago | 18
Updated 5 hours ago | 25
Updated 4 days ago | 26