Hey Chowhounds. The SO and I are taking a long weekend in Dallas in over a month from now. We are looking for a really impressive BBQ place if such a thing exists. We've looked at a lot of posts out here but we remain a bit confused so are risking starting a new thread with a topic that seems to have been well covered. Yet, the differences here are:
1) The BBQ restaurant does not have to be in Dallas proper, it is OK if it is a bit outside. An hour drive is probably too much, but a half hour-ish drive would work. If the place is only open for lunch and not dinner it would be good to know.
2) We prefer a single owner operated resto rather than a chain, though we understand Dallas is full of chains and some may be perfectly good, especially if it's a chain only in the sense that it expanded to a few restos out of one perfectly good local one and maintained quality.
2) Preferably it wouldn't be cafeteria style, though that is OK for great food.
3) It would be good if they had entrees other than meat, i.e. vegetarian or seafood, but not just veggie side orders, but also entrees. Yet, if there is an awsome place that only serves meat, it is a possibility for us.
4) The Babe's restaurant (although it is not BBQ) sounds pretty good, especially the one that serves catfish as well. We see it says it serves family style. Is that OK for two people? Also sounds like Babe's has a bunch of "entertainment" going on, singing, dancing and such. That is OK but we don't really want or need that. Is that really that way it is? Sounds touristy maybe?
5) In Dallas, a few restaurants mentioned: Sonny Bryan's (the original location good, but overrated, past it's prime?), Sammy's, and Baker's. Any further thoughts on those?
6) Mainly interested in BBQ, but if we really can't find any that is super good there, how's that S&D Oyster Company?
So any local residents especially have any good advice? Visitor advice is great too, but we prefer to eat where the locals do.
We promise to report back with the results of our quest. One caveat is, we only have the time to go to one place with all the other visiting activies already planned!