I have a bunch of cookie questions. I am sure that many of these have been asked in other posts, but I would like a comprehensive list of the different choices I can make to make a different textured cookie.
If you need a "point of reference" use the standard Toll House as an example, but I would like to take the info you guys supply to use on my other cookies.
1) What are the differences between using: butter, margarine, oil, and Crisco? Which produces the crispiest, which is softest? Any other pros and cons of each?
2) Cold butter/margarine versus melted butter/margarine. What differences should I expect?
3) Preheated cookie sheet (where I have the sheet in the oven as I preheat) versus cold cookie sheet just popped in the oven after the oven preheats. Would any type of cookie benefit from a warmed tray?
5) Brown sugar and white sugar....what are the differences of using ALL white or ALL brown? How much does it affect the consistency?
6) Different flour types. I have baked with whole wheat, without seeing much difference in the cookie, but are there other flours that will greatly impact the finished cookie?
7) Adding peanut butter to the batter…if I add a half of cup of PB, what should I decrease? The amount of butter, egg, or a combination?
I think those are most of the questions I have. Sorry if some of them did not make sense and/or have been discussed to death already….
Updated 1 year ago | 10
Updated 3 months ago | 16
Updated 2 years ago | 55
Updated 1 year ago | 77
Updated 1 year ago | 9