I'm taking "La Technique" at the French Culinary Institute and my chef-instructor told us about a bacteria that I've never heard of before. I'm just a bit skeptical, as you'd think it would be widely known if it were as serious as he described. I wondered if anyone else is familiar with this: he said that there's a bacteria on the outside of bell peppers that can cause major illness (and even death in rare cases) if the peppers are not thoroughly washed prior to serving raw or cooking. Apparently, this bacteria doesn't multiply in the presence of oxygen, but in its absence. (I think the word he used is anaerobic.) His cautionary (and apocryphal?) tale involved a couple of guys who were making sausage and peppers. They didn't wash the peppers -- just sliced them up with onions and poured a lot of oil over them to cook (yech - but technique isn't the issue here). Apparently they left the pepper/onion mixture out for a few hours, covered in oil, during which time this bacteria, which he likened to botulism, multiplied many times over. And the guys then reheated the whole deal with the sausages, ate it and later died.
My thinking is that, if this were such a potential disaster, why doesn't everyone know about it? Like we know about the salmonella dangers related to chicken and raw eggs.
Does anyone have any input on the subject?
Updated 6 days ago | 73
Updated 1 month ago | 7
Updated 1 month ago | 77
Updated 11 days ago | 8
Updated 1 month ago | 10