3 SuggestionsExpand Map
I'm visiting San Antonio in a week for a conference and staying near the Downtown Convention Center/Riverwalk. I am trying to find good food (near my hotel) that will give me the authentic SA experience.
Things I love:
1) Cheap, unhealthy, and delicious
2) Weird/out-of-the-ordinary food; stuff your picky grandmother wouldn't even classify as food
4) Tex-mex. I am from San Diego so I get the real-deal Baja-style Mexican; I wanna see what you crazy Texans have done to Mexican food.
5) Beer; craft is fun but cold will do just fine
6) Tequila, of course!
Things I would like:
7) Relatively close to the convention center area. I know this limits me in terms of BBQ, but I will not have a car and frankly your public transportation appears to suck (no offense, it sucks here in SD too). I am willing to take a cheap cab ride but nothing that's gonna cost me more than my meal... unless you swear it'll be worth it.
8) Places tourists will never ever go. But if I have to endure a "touristy" place because it's the best, then I'll bite the bullet and whatever else they serve me. I know this is tough because of where I am staying and #7.
So far I have Azuca Sabor, Schilo's, Esquire Tavern, Freetail Brewing Co, and The Granary on my list. Any reason to avoid any of those 5? Any other suggestions? I'll be there for 5 nights so load me up people, I'm a hungry boy.
Thanks in advance,
by Hana Asbrink | My latest haul. Welcome to Chow...
by Dan Koday | You ever notice how a great marinade can instantly elevate what otherwise would end up as a pretty...
by Eric Silverstein | By Eric Silverstein Chef Eric Silverstein is the founder and owner of The Peached Tortilla in Austin...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.