I'm visiting San Antonio in a week for a conference and staying near the Downtown Convention Center/Riverwalk. I am trying to find good food (near my hotel) that will give me the authentic SA experience.
Things I love:
1) Cheap, unhealthy, and delicious
2) Weird/out-of-the-ordinary food; stuff your picky grandmother wouldn't even classify as food
4) Tex-mex. I am from San Diego so I get the real-deal Baja-style Mexican; I wanna see what you crazy Texans have done to Mexican food.
5) Beer; craft is fun but cold will do just fine
6) Tequila, of course!
Things I would like:
7) Relatively close to the convention center area. I know this limits me in terms of BBQ, but I will not have a car and frankly your public transportation appears to suck (no offense, it sucks here in SD too). I am willing to take a cheap cab ride but nothing that's gonna cost me more than my meal... unless you swear it'll be worth it.
8) Places tourists will never ever go. But if I have to endure a "touristy" place because it's the best, then I'll bite the bullet and whatever else they serve me. I know this is tough because of where I am staying and #7.
So far I have Azuca Sabor, Schilo's, Esquire Tavern, Freetail Brewing Co, and The Granary on my list. Any reason to avoid any of those 5? Any other suggestions? I'll be there for 5 nights so load me up people, I'm a hungry boy.
Thanks in advance,