Chowhound Presents: Table Talk with Dorie Greenspan of Everyday Dorie Ask Your Questions Now

Follow us:

General Discussion 25

I ate raw halibut and am now scared

FineSugar | Apr 2, 201605:09 PM

A friend gave me a freshly caught Pacific halibut. This thing was beautiful. We cut some up and had it raw, crudo-style. We were so excited that I completely forgot that this fish really isn't a good one to eat raw unless it's commercially frozen for several days. But this fish wasn't. It went from my friend's boat to my kitchen, and the crudo was long gone by the time I realized this. I raced to the kitchen and examined the rest of the fillets (which we were planning to eat fried). I held the pieces up to light, and it all looked clean and gorgeous, but in a corner of one filet, I saw one small reddish worm. Only one, which I cut out immediately, and then reexamined every piece again, in case I missed another. I couldn't find any others. So I think my family and I are okay. This fish wasn't riddled with worms. The crudo pieces were small and very white, so if the parasites are reddish, like the tiny worm I did find, I would have seen it I think. But now I'm terrified I may have made people I love sick. A search on the web gave me mixed answers. Is there anyone here that can answer some questions? I'd like to know: How soon would we know if I accidentally included a parasite or piece of parasite in the crudo? What might the symptoms be? Is there anything I can feed my family now to kill any parasite they may have ingested? And the biggest question of all, do I tell them that I'm freaking out with worry? So far I haven't.

Want to stay up to date with this post? Sign Up Now ›
Log In or Sign Up to comment

Recommended from Chowhound