Living in NDG has limited my choice of good restaurants, and good sushi around the neighbourhood has been difficult to find. But today I found one: Sushi Yu Mi at 5124-A Sherbrooke W corner Vendôme. We chose to pick up our dinner and eat at home.
The ingredients were very fresh, the sauces delicate, but spicy and tasty, the baby lettuces and other greens were a very welcome innovation and the rice, omg, the rice was light and flavourful and so delicate that it made me, a "sashimi only woman", a definite fan of their maki.
I'll tell you what we ordered:
- Numaki (a very clever mix of vietnamese roll with japanese sushi): shrimp, fish
- Maki Classic: Opera, shrimp tempura, spicy roll of salmon
- Maki Extra Special: Mango and scallop (just a little hint of fruit), Rainbow roll
- Sashimi: Sake (salmon), Spicy Hotategai (scallops)
- Sushi Tempura: Sake (salmon) on rice with nori
All were really good. Normally I'm quite critical of most of what I eat in restaurants, so much so that I'd rather cook at home than go out and pay for mostly overpriced and overrated lame food but this time taste, texture and freshness were at the menu, at least for what we order. A very nice surprise.