Del Papa is one of Almaty's most popular Italian spot, and with good reason - great location downtown, cosy decor, efficient service, and very good cooking.
What we had this evening:
- Homestyle bruschetta mix, a selection of 4 types of bruschetta: tomato & red onion, chicken & arugula, Parma ham & tracchino, and marinated bell pepper.
- Salmon carpaccio with pesto and rose pepper. Delish.
- Beetroot salad with feta cheese and pine nuts: smallish helping of beetroot which was perhaps diced too finely. Insufficient amount of feta cheese, and the local pine nuts here were smallish and not toasted enough.
- Salmon fillet in creamy lemon sauce: the fillet was slightly over-cooked - should have been slightly pink at the centre, but the creamy sauce was rich and tasty.
- Lamb shank in vegetable sauce: a favourite among lamb-loving local Central diners. The melt-in-your-mouth lamb shank was smothered with an intense tomato-bell pepper-onion sauce, with a hint of oregano.
- Beef osso buco: done perfectly generous portion of slow-stewed beef, and fatty-rich marrow. I ordered roasted vegetables as a side.
Don't miss the mulled wine (red wine, orange, apple, spices and mint) which is available all year round here, not just around Christmas season. There is also a non-alcoholic version available.
Kabanbai Batyr Street 83
Tel: +7 727 341 0840
by Amy Schulman | As Americans hunker down in their homes to practice social distancing, you may be wondering how you...
by Brittany Loggins | The change of seasons, no matter what else is going on, always makes us want to freshen things up...
by James Park | Spicy silken tofu soup, often called soondubu jjigae, is one of the most beloved soups in Korean cuisine...
by Hana Asbrink | Welcome to Chowhound's Table Talk podcast, where Executive Editor Hana Asbrink chats with some of...