I just got back from a few days in Ethiopia, here are my reviews:
1) Habesha Restaurant--This was a nice Ethiopian Restaurant with good food in an upscale but comfortable environment, and music and dancing as well. We had Kwanta Firfir and Vegetables, the Kwanta Firfir did not overwhelm me, but everything was tasty and the service was good. The dancing was outstanding. The restaurant is on Bole Rd.
2) Makush Gallery--An Italian Restaurant/art gallery. Excellent homemade tortellini and less exciting pizza. Fancy and trendy, but good homemade pasta. On Bole Rd.
3) Nakhlah Restaurant--a Yemeni restaurant, near the Ibex Hotel. Yemeni and Arabic specialties, and great juices. Fairly cheap. The special lamb was tasty, and the rice was delicious. the best thing to eat was actually the hummus.
4) Yod Abyssinia. Another Ethiopian restaurant, but I wasn't so impressed by this one. The food was pretty good, but not great, and the atmosphere was a bit annoying. Maybe just in the wrong mood.
5) Oroscopo. a kind of weird Italian/Ethiopian restaurant in the Piazza area. Not sure whether it was intended to be fusion or not, but was a bizarre combination of the two cuisines. Probably not recommended, although it was a cute and friendly little place.
Fasika restaurant was also recommended to us, but didn't have time to try it out.
One fantastic coffeehouse, Tomoca, with some of the best espresso anywhere, and one decent and cute coffeehouse, Mocha Mocha, with great macchiatos. Both dirt cheap. Cafes are everywhere in Addis!