Cocktails & Spirits

Achieving that ice slurry on a shaken cocktail


Live your best food life.

Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts.
Sign Up For Free
Cocktails & Spirits 13

Achieving that ice slurry on a shaken cocktail

Pei | Dec 25, 2010 05:07 PM

I've been wondering for awhile now, is there a name for the slurry of finely chipped ice that floats on the top of some cocktails (typically served in a martini glass)? I would love to know the technique involved in creating this effect, but without knowing what to call it, I'm coming up blank. I assume it's a combination of the shape of ice cubes, shaking technique, and length of time spent shaking the cocktail.

That little slurry of ice really elevates something like an Aviation or a simple daiquiri, so any points in the right direction are greatly appreciated! TIA

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound