Eight Viet-food-loving hounds gathered today at My Canh in SJ for lunch. None of us had ever eaten there before nor have we ever seen a post about it here. The big draw was the 7 courses of fish (ca bay mon), and it didn't disappoint. I will simply list the menu and link photos below and will return to post comments after my fellow hounds chime in.
Seven courses of fish (2 people/order), $25.95 for 2. Served to us in below order, although menu has 5 and 6 switched.
1. Goi Ca Sturgeon: sturgeon salad w/ ginger sauce and rice cracker
2. Ca Hoa Tien: fried smelt roll w/ sweet and sour sauce
3. Ca Nuong La Lot: grilled ladyfish wrapped in Hawaiian piper lolot leaf
4. Bun Ca Salmon: grilled salmon over vermicelli w/ tamarind sauce
5. Com Xa Xiu Sea Bass: sweet roasted white sea bass over sticky rice
6. Chao Ca Thu: porridge w/ gingered tuna
7. Ca Bong Lau Nuong: baked catfish w/ lettuce, assorted herbs and rice sheets.
374 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113
Hours (from takeout menu): Sun-Th 10am-11pm; Fri-Sat 10am-12midnight
Reservations usually not accepted but it helps if you have someone who speaks Vietnamese like Alice (thanks Alice!)