So my birthday is coming up (the big 2-5!!) and I'm planning a get-together with some friends for dinner. I'm looking for ideas on somewhere new - last year I had it at Tabule (which worked out really well) but I'd like to try somewhere new. Looking at having about 14-16 people and here's what I'd really like.
- somewhere nice, but not too pretentious (ruled out Ultra for this reason) - we'd like to dress up a bit but not because of a strict dress code
- good food, but enough choices to accommodate the picky eaters (which there's quite a few of in my group of friends) - some vegetarian and seafood choice as well for those that don't eat meat
- somewhere where we won't be rushed out the door after dinner, maybe a bit of a lounge vibe so we can linger - it'd probably be a later dinner (8ish) so it'd be nice to be able to hang out for a bit over dessert or move to a lounge if the table is needed
- I'm open to any type of cuisine, but would like somewhere with enough choices to appease everyone else ;) maybe somewhere new, a bit trendy but not too loud
- downtown - so between front and bloor, yonge and bathurst would be ideal, although we can definitely venture outside that area a bit if it's easily ttc-accessible
The one idea I had was Sidecar, as I've heard great things about it, or maybe the new Ciao Wine Bar. Or the patio at the Drake? We're all in our early to late-20s, and budget-wise, I guess mains in the $20-$30 range would be fine; we're not really big drinkers, some of our friends will have a couple of drinks, probably at least half the group won't be drinking at all (I wonder if the bartender at Sidecar can do up any nice mocktails!). Do such places exist??
Oh, and this would be for July 17th (a Saturday night), my birthday is always during summerlicious, so I'd like to avoid that as well (although I know the Summerlicious list isn't out yet, there seem to be some restaurants that participate regularly)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
2009 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M4S 1Z8, CA
Ciao Wine Bar
133 Yorkville Ave, Toronto, ON M5R 1C4, CA