I am doing a sushi journey, and have 4 dinners and 4 lunches available. I'm visiting NYC for a little while.
I'm more of a sushi purist, but do like to branch out and try styles of sushi as long as the core elements are excellent. For example, Yasuda is my favorite in NYC so far, and Karuma could be if it weren't so weird inside. Mori Sushi is my ideal in LA.
I'm also a last minute guy, so didn't have an opportunity to score reservations at Nakazawa or 15 East for dinner, but would have done so (the latter is available for lunch, but I have already had a subpar lunch there).
Here's my plan:
- SushiAnn (more casual business)
- Kurumazushi (more expensive, premium)
- Two more open...considering Sasabune (have been in the past and got a kick out of the warm rice thing, but would only do once and am wondering if it's too low brow) and Yasuda
- Sushi of Gari UES (not found elsewhere in the country)
- Ichimura (have this booked, most excited to try as I have not been)
- Azabu (may replace with something else...since the head chef left)
- Yasuda (still my favorite)
Other ones I'm considering Ushiwakamaru (it's been a while since I've visited...is it run by Japanese chefs?), Kura (good Yelp reviews, although that can be deceiving), and Kanyoama (is this high-end?).