I will visiting Toronto for the 1st time in March. Unfortunately, it's a short trip- 2 nights and one day but I was hoping to get my grub on as much as possible. I work in the restaurant biz and I make it a priority to hit up the restaurant(s) of the lauded local chefs. I am not familiar with the food scene at all- minus Chang's presence. I am a New Yorker so I am not interested in going to one of his restaurants. If I could get some suggestions on the following I would really appreciate it!!!
1. Who are the local celebrity chefs? (ex: the David Chang's/Andrew Carmellini;s of Toronto) And if they have more than one resto, what's the flagship? Or the one that stands out?
2. What are some hot places right now? (all cuisines)
3. What is the long standing high-end darling? (ex: the Gramercy Tavern of Toronto)
4. Any not to miss ethnic/casual/street food type places?
5. best Breakfast?
6. Any neighborhoods that are packed with good eats?
7. Something authenticly Toronto? (ex: NY Style Pizza) meaning something that is unique to that city and you can only get there
I know this is a crazy questionnaire. Anyone who actually responds is crazy awesome!!! Thank you!!
(I'm happy to trade same advice for anyone visiting NYC in the near future!)