My boyfriend and I are going to be in the LA area for Memorial Day weekend - arriving Saturday morning and leaving Monday evening. We live in San Francisco. Neither of us has spent much time in LA, so we're excited about sampling the local good eats. We will most likely be staying in West Hollywood. We've done some research and have come up with a preliminary game plan - we're just hoping to get some feedback, and ask a few questions.
Here's what we're thinking:
lunch - Father's Office in Santa Monica
dinner - sushi (so far we're considering either Sushi Park or Sushi Sushi)
lunch - Middle Eastern of some sort (we're interested in Attari Sandwich Shop, Carnival, and Zankou)
dinner - Pizzeria Mozza
lunch - Langer's
dinner - Tacos Baja Ensenada
We also plan to fit in a late night Oki Dog one night.
We'd appreciate any general feedback any of you are willing to offer. And we also have a few particular questions:
1. While we're in Santa Monica, do we need to try to save room to sample a Godmother from Bay Cities Deli? I've heard good things.
2. Is sushi on a Saturday a mistake? Would either of the places we're thinking about going to be better than the other on Saturday? Or should we just skip it due to our timing? Also, my boyfriend doesn't eat shellfish - would one be better than the other in that regard? We like the location of Sushi Park because we will probably be staying nearby, but it sounds like Sushi Sushi is less expensive, so that's appealing. Is Sushi Park worth the extra $? I've seen some people say the chef's choice sushi was over $100 per person at Sushi Park, but one person said he spent more like $70. Are there different options? I haven't been able to find a menu online.
3. Any opinions on the Middle Eastern places we're interested in? Or are there others we should be considering?
4. Any particular taco trucks or other Mexican joints we should check out while we're out at Tacos Baja Ensenada?
5. And are we going to be missing out if we don't make it to Phillippes? We're definitely interested, but don't think we can fit it in. Should we make it a priority?
Thanks in advance!