Two of San Francisco’s most popular restaurants, Nopa and Slanted Door, have sister restaurants that are fully up and running. Here’s what Hounds have to say about them.
Nopalito is serving Mexican food made following Nopa’s sustainable and organic philosophy. It does lunch, dinner, and take out. Hounds like:
• The sturgeon fish taco
• Totopos con chile, which is hot tortilla chips served with chile de arbol, crema, and lime. Sharon S. says the crema is a good contrast with the spicy sauce and the chips are crispy.
• Carnitas that consist of “long braised pork, orange bay leaf, cinnamon, and beer with cabbage salad, picked jalapeños, tomatillo salsa on the side,” says foodnut.com. Sharon S. calls the pork “amazing and greasy” and says “it would be hard to pass up.”
• Huitlacoche tamale
• The organic almond horchata is good, with a heavy cinnamon flavor says foodnut.com.
Charles Phan’s puppy Heaven’s Dog has a menu focused around Northern Chinese cuisine, and employs the same sustainable local ethos as Nopalito. It also has a full bar and a fancy cocktail program. Hounds give mixed reviews overall, but favorites are:
• Spicy lamb skewers are “criminally hot” says Senor Popusa, but “well seasoned and perfectly cooked [and] bursting with cuminy lamby goodness,” says PekoePeony.
• The cocktails, which PekoePeony says are balanced, and employ hand-cut ice cubes. “Standouts were the tiger’s milk, gin fizz, and tropical apricot.”
• Shanghai dumplings: “Filled with juice that was very rich in collagen, meat very lightly seasoned, piping hot. Only 6 to an order for $9, though,” says sfbing.
• Calamari topped with fried chile and scallions. “I’ve had my share of [salt and pepper] calamari, but the greaseless light touch from the deep fryer had the best texture ever. It’s a must order,” says toofacetious.
• Candy dish, a dessert that consists of chocolates, macaroons, and jellied fruit. “A great way to end the night!” says PekoePeony.
Nopa [Western Addition]
560 Divisadero Street, San Francisco
Slanted Door [Embarcadero]
Ferry Slip, San Francisco
Nopalito [Western Division]
306 Broderick Street, San Francisco
Heaven’s Dog [SOMA]
1148 Mission Street, San Francisco