Here’s how to make Left-Behinds:
Read the recipe »1. Gather the items needed to bake the cookies: the cookie dough, a sharp knife, parchment paper, two baking sheets, two wire racks, a butter knife, a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, and a dinner fork.
2. Remove a dough log from the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap, and slice the dough into 1/8-inch coins. Place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. (About 30 cookies will fit on one sheet.) Rewrap the extra cookie dough in plastic and refrigerate until ready to bake the second batch.
3. Bake the cookies until the edges are golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Make the peanut butter filling and temper the chocolate. Have the cooled cookies, filling, and chocolate ready to go before assembling. Do not remove the thermometer from the bowl of chocolate; check the temperature periodically to make sure it stays between 85 degrees Fahrenheit and 87 degrees Fahrenheit. Reheat the chocolate as needed.
5. Using a butter knife, evenly spread 1/2 teaspoon of the peanut butter filling on each cooled cookie.
6. Using a dinner fork, dip the cooled cookies one at a time, peanut butter side up, into the chocolate until covered. Lift each cookie out of the chocolate and tap the fork several times on the edge of the bowl. Scrape the bottom of the fork against the edge of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate.
7. Place the cookies on one of the prepared baking sheets by tilting the fork so that the edge of each cookie touches the parchment, then pull the fork out. Repeat until all the cookies have been dipped. Let sit at room temperature until completely hardened, about 20 minutes.
8. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for one week or in the freezer for up to one month.