Environmentally Friendly Picnic Supplies
Enjoy the outdoors without trashing it
By Roxanne Webber
3. Palm Leaf Plates. These lightweight bowls and plates made from adaka palm tree leaves are biodegradable. They’re good for hot and cold foods, and, if you wash and dry them carefully, they can be reused a few times.
4. Preserve Tableware Pack. For a reusable but lightweight option, Preserve’s products are made from 100 percent recycled plastic and can be run through the dishwasher. This tableware pack includes small and large plates, forks, knives, and spoons and comes in your choice of green or blue.
5. Recycled Plastic Outdoor Rug. Why use an old blanket when you can picnic on this? It’s woven from threads made of old soda bottles and bubble wrap. Plus, because it’s plastic, you’ll stay dry even if you’re eating on damp ground.
6. SpudWare Utensil Set. A compostable alternative to plastic cutlery, these disposable knives, spoons, and forks are made from potato starch.
7. Recycled, Unbleached Paper Napkins. Reusable cloth napkins are best, but if you need to go disposable then opt for these from Seventh Generation.
8. Bamboo Bar Board. Slice crusty bread or cheese on this small cutting board, made from organically grown bamboo and water-based, formaldehyde-free glue.
9. Compostable Pint Cups. Just because they’re compostable doesn’t mean you get to toss them in the bushes when you’re done; like other bioplastics, these will decompose best in commercial composting facilities.