Tired of Easy Mac and lackluster takeout? Change it up with these flavor-packed peanut soba noodles that deserve a spot in your weeknight dinner rotation. You’ll barely spend any time in the kitchen, since this dish comes together in just 15 minutes—meaning you can be on the couch watching Netflix in no time. Plus, you’re bound to have most of the ingredients in your pantry already. No additional grocery stops required!
To make it, smooth peanut butter gets spiked with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lime, and a bit of chili garlic sauce for some heat. If you’re heat averse, skip the chili garlic sauce or serve it on the side. Warm water helps thin out the sauce, making it cling to the noodles without clumping. This version gets topped with thinly sliced Persian cucumbers, chopped peanuts, and cilantro, but you could easily add other vegetables, like red bell peppers and thinly sliced cabbage, or protein, such as grilled chicken thighs or baked tofu, to make it more substantial.
What Are Soba Noodles and How Are They Prepared?
Soba noodles are a type of Japanese noodle made from buckwheat flour. These long brown noodles are traditionally made by hand, but it can take years to properly learn the craft. Luckily, store-bought noodles are a great back up—and just as good. Soba can be eaten hot or cold, in soups, alongside tempura, or with dipping sauces on the side.
Eden Foods Soba Noodles, $7.61 on Amazon
Unlike with pasta, you don’t have to heavily salt the water—a few pinches will do. The soba noodles will get enough sodium thanks to the soy in the sauce. These nutty noodles are sensitive to over-cooking and can quickly become gummy if you boil them past al dente. To combat this, immediately rinse them with cold water after they’ve cooked, which helps stop the soba from cooking any further and gets rid of any extra starch which can affect the flavor.
Peanut Soba Noodles Recipe
Peanut Soba Noodles
- 1 pound soba noodles
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1-inch knob ginger, grated
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced, to serve
- Peanuts, roughly chopped, to serve
- Cilantro leaves, torn, to serve
- Cook soba noodles according to package instructions in a pot of lightly salted water. Drain in a colander and thoroughly rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add the garlic, ginger, peanut butter, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, lime zest and juice, and warm water, and whisk until smooth. If you want a looser peanut sauce, add another tablespoon of warm water.
- Add the soba noodles to the bowl and toss with tongs until well combined.
- Serve with cucumber, peanuts, and cilantro leaves.
Header image by Alexis deBoschnek.