Whether you’ve long followed a vegan diet or are looking to switch to a plant-based lifestyle, “7-Day Vegan Challenge” is here to help. Written by Danish blogger Bettina Campolucci Bordi, the cookbook challenges readers to test out recipes that are geared toward making you feel good. The book brims with plant-based, gluten-free, and refined-sugar-free recipes—the kinds of recipes that highlight just how delicious vegan dishes are.
Related Reading: A Spicy Lentil Soup That’s Vegan and Delicious
7-Day Vegan Challenge, $19.48 on Amazon
Whip up savory ginger and garlic oats, topped with a tangle of kale and bok choy. Swap bacon for smoked tofu in Bettina’s ultimate BLT, replete with pickled onions and copious amounts of plant-based mayonnaise. Her vegan desserts are just as craveable, like two-minute ice cream squeezed between crispy almond cookies and key lime pie in a jar, crowned with a fistful of raspberries. Everything is straightforward to make, filled with easy-to-find ingredients and a time frame that makes weeknight dinners a breeze.
And while there are many vegan recipes out there that advocate for a number of egg replacements—from flax seeds to tofu—Bettina relies on chickpeas to take an egg’s place, especially when it comes to finding a supplement for scrambled eggs. Her chickpea scramble, which can be prepared for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, swaps eggs for blitzed canned chickpeas, which are seared with olive oil, leeks, peppers, paprika, chili, and spinach.
Cuisinart Nonstick 9-Inch Skillet, $20.95 on Amazon
Related Reading: How to Choose the Right Nonstick Cookware
The final product is a scramble of many textures: blended and whole chickpeas, soft peppers, and wilted spinach. Bettina serves her version with a side of toast, slivers of avocado, and chopped cherry tomatoes. The recipe is easily liked by everyone, and just one of many that proves that anyone can go vegan—whether it’s merely for one day or a whole week.
Related Reading: The Vegan Secret Weapon That Should Be in Every Pantry
Recipe excerpted with permission from The 7 Day Vegan Challenge by Bettina Campolucci-Bordi, published by Hardie Grant Books January 2020, RRP $20.99 Hardcover.
Chickpea Scramble Recipe
Such a brilliant, filling meal—with plenty of delicious veggies and made in no time! You can serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner—whatever floats your boat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small or ½ large leek, green and all, chopped
- ½ red (bell) pepper, finely diced
- 240 g (8 ½ oz/1 cup) drained tinned chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 pinch of chilli (hot pepper) flakes
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) spinach leaves
- Cherry tomatoes, toast and avocado slices, to serve
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil, leek and pepper and fry for about 5–10 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Put half the chickpeas into a blender and blitz, then add to the pan with the remaining unblended chickpeas, stir well and simmer for another few minutes until heated through. Sprinkle in the paprika and chilli and season with salt and pepper to taste. Finally add the spinach and let it wilt into the mixture.
- This is great served with fresh cherry tomatoes, toast and slices of avocado.
Header image by Nassima Rothacker.