It’s a giant raviolo–two large squares of fresh pasta enclosing a whole egg yolk, some Parmesan cheese, and shaved truffle. It’s cooked delicately so that when you cut into the cooked pasta, all the rich yolk oozes out and makes a sauce. But what’s the name?

Karl S proposes “uovo in ravioli” as the name of this dish–a name used by at least one New York chef.

A similar dish is something bolivianita used to make when she worked in restaurants making pasta. Called occhio di bue (ox eye), it consists of a giant raviolo filled with spinach and ricotta, and an egg yolk at the center–steamed so that the egg is still runny, and sauced with brown butter and sage.

Board Links
WHAT is this Italian specialty called?

See more articles