Zesty Lime and Ginger Winter Fruit Salad
A fruit salad may seem like a no-brainer to prepare, but adding extra flavor with a ginger-lime–passion fruit dressing can make the difference between an uninspired mound of random fruit bits and a dish you would actually serve at a special brunch. Here, pineapple and winter fruits like Cara Cara oranges and kiwis are mixed up with a little passion fruit juice, lime zest, ginger, and a dash of brown sugar to make a saucy coating that gives this salad some personality.
Game plan: If time permits, chill the fruit before making the salad so the fruit can be cut and served at its freshest.
- 1/3 cup passion fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (from about 2 medium limes)
- 1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger (from about a 2-inch piece)
- 2 pounds navel, Cara Cara, or blood oranges (about 4 or 5 medium oranges)
- 2 pounds kiwis (about 10 medium kiwis), peeled and cut into large dice
- 3 pounds pineapple (from about 1 medium pineapple), skin removed, cored, and cut into large dice
1Whisk together the passion fruit juice, brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger in a large bowl until the sugar has dissolved; set aside.
2Segment the oranges: Slice 1/4 inch off the top and bottom of 1 orange and set it flat on a work surface. Using a paring knife, follow the curve of the orange and slice off any remaining peel and white pith. Slice between the membranes to release the segments or supremes. Drop the segments into the bowl with the dressing and discard the membrane and peels. (Chef Michael Symon demonstrates how to segment citrus in this CHOW Tip video.) Repeat with the remaining oranges.
3Add the kiwis and pineapple to the bowl and gently mix until the fruit is evenly coated. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours before serving.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved