Warm Spring Vegetable Salad with Favas, Green Beans, and Radicchio
Adapted from "In the Hands of a Chef" by Jody Adams and Ken Rivard
This springtime salad by Jody Adams, chef-owner of Rialto Restaurant + Bar in Cambridge, Massachusetts, combines warm radicchio, peas, and beans with a creamy lemon vinaigrette. Adams recommends blanching the vegetables a day ahead (through step 4) to make assembling the salad easier.
- 1/2 pound thin green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 pound fresh peas, shelled
- 2 pounds fava beans in their pods, shelled (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion (about 1/2 pound), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 2 large heads radicchio, washed, dried, cored, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1Prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside. Bring a medium pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat.
- 2Add green beans to the boiling water and cook until crisp yet tender, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to the ice bath. Once cool, remove beans to a large fine mesh strainer set over a bowl.
- 3Bring water back up to a boil and add peas. Cook until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peas to the ice bath. Once cool, remove peas to the strainer on top of the green beans.
- 4Bring water back up to a boil and add favas. Cook for about 1 minute. (Test a bean by piercing through the skin and pulling out the bean inside. It should be bright green and tender.) Using a slotted spoon, transfer favas to the ice bath. Once favas are cool, peel the light green skin from each bean to reveal two bright green inner halves. Discard the skins and place the peeled beans in the strainer on top of the peas.
- 5Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to high, add radicchio, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until radicchio starts to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat to medium, add reserved green beans, peas, and favas, stir to combine, and cook until just heated through, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper, add parsley and thyme, and stir to combine. Remove from heat and place in a serving dish.
- 7In a medium bowl, whisk together rosemary, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons lemon juice (if you prefer a tart vinaigrette, use more lemon juice), and remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Whisk in cream and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables and serve warm or at room temperature. (If you expect to have leftovers, dress only the portion you are serving and store the remaining vegetables and vinaigrette separately in the refrigerator.)
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved