Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Creamy almond based pasta sauce (vegan mac...
Best Vegetarian Pasta Sauce
- 1 1lb.12 oz. cn crushed tomatoes, or whole Roma tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1/2 cn whole black olives, or 1/2 cup marinated (deli) olives (omit salt), chopped and pitted
- 1 13 oz cn mushrooms, or 1/2lb. of fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced, 1/3 reserved
- 1 med. onion, diced, 1/2 reserved
- 4-6 cloves garlic, depending on size, sliced or minced (I prefer sliced)
- 1-2 med. carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 celery heart, or two stalks plus a pinch of celery seed (reserved), sliced or diced
- 1 med. yellow squash
- 1 med. zucchini
- 1 Tb oregano or 5 fresh sprigs
- 1 t marjoram
- 1 Tb basil, or 5 fresh leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red wine (make sure wine is DRINKING quality, NOT cooking wine), 1/4 reserved (optional)
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tb balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tb Romano cheese (optional)
- 2 Tb Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 t MSG (optional)
- grey sea salt, or plain sea salt, or kosher to taste
- pepper melange or fresh ground pepper to taste
This pasta sauce takes some time and effort, but it is good enough that my husband, who is a devout meat lover, asks for it all the time. Serve with any type of pasta, and a glass of the wine you cooked with.
Also, to make Vegan, omit cheese.
- 1After preparing and reserving vegetables, heat olive oil in large pan or skillet.
- 2Saute olives, 2/3 shallot, 1/2 onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until they begin to blacken around edges, or until minced garlic is golden brown.
- 3Add 3/4 cup red wine and reduce until gone.
- 4Add vinegars and reduce until gone.
- 5Add remaining shallot and onion, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash and saute until onion is translucent.
- 6Add crushed tomatoes, Romano cheese, MSG, and herbs, stir until combined, add remaining wine, salt and pepper and stir again.
- 7Simmer on low for one hour, uncovered, adding water if necessary, and stirring occasionally.