- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat it with olive oil. Set aside.
- 2Combine the cornmeal or flour, sliced almonds, paprika, kelp, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dill weed, and pepper to taste in a blender. Blend on high until most of the almonds have been turned into a coarse meal, with a few larger pieces of almond remaining. Pour the mixture into a wide baking dish or pie plate.
- 3Place the plain soymilk into a bowl and set next to the cornmeal mixture.
- 4With a sharp knife, cut the tofu into even slices just under 1/2 inch wide. Cut the slices into fish stick dimensions or use a fish-shaped cookie cutter to cut out tofu fish. Working with one piece at a time, dip the tofu into the soymilk, then toss gently in the cornmeal mixture to coat evenly. Place on the prepared baking sheet. When all the tofu fish are on the baking sheet, sprinkle them with olive oil.
- 5Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the tofu over and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until crispy (if making Tater Tots to go with the fish sticks, place them on the baking sheet for the last 15 minutes). Squeeze some lemon juice evenly over the tofu fish and serve.
From the book Vegan Lunch Box by Jennifer McCann. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2008.