Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Bison and Bean Chili
Raw Vegan Broccoli Salad
Vegan Carrot, Broccoli and Bean Shoot Salad
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups broccoli slaw or finely julienned broccoli stalks
- 2 cups mung bean shoots
- 1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and julienned
- 2 cups (2 bunches) fresh cilantro / coriander chopped finely
- 1 bunch of green onions sliced finely
To make the dressing
- just over 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tbsp cold pressed sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp wheat-free tamari
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced serrano chili depending on the heat
- 3 - 4 tsp freshly minced garlic
This zesty carrot, broccoli and bean shoot salad fits the piggy bill, with a well coated mix of carrots, broccoli, cucumber and bean shoots that creates a crunchy tangy taste sensation that is perfect for those Summer barbecues we all look back on fondly once the warm weather has long gone and the Winter chill sets in. What I love about salads is that they are so simple; and offer infinite possibilities for allergy-friendly meals the whole family can enjoy. You can dress this salad up with some chopped raw nuts and seeds. But as this recipe stands, it is a fantastic vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free and nut-free salad that keeps me in love with raw vegetables.
- 1Toss all of the vegetables together with the cilantro.
- 2Place all of the dressing ingredients except the chili and garlic in your blender and pulse a few times until well combined.
- 3Then stir in the garlic and chili.
- 4Pour the dressing over the salad and season to taste.
- 5Garnish with sesame seeds or chopped raw nuts if desired. YUM!