Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Easy Vanilla Pudding
Buttermilk and Brown Butter Waffles
Vanilla-Buttermilk Pastry Cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1/4 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved)
A delicious, slightly tangy take on basic pastry cream. Try it topped with fresh fruit, like mango, blueberries, or strawberries for our tiny tartlets, or as an alternate filling in mini éclairs.
Game plan: Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, up to two days.
See more tea party recipes.
- 1Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Whisk gently to break up any lumps, and set aside. Prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
- 2Combine buttermilk and egg yolks in a small saucepan and whisk untilsmooth. Whisk in dry ingredients and place the pan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract or reserved vanilla seeds. Transfer pastry cream to a small bowl nestled in the ice water bath and let cool completely, stirring occasionally to help it cool faster.