Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Ginger Chicken Jook (Rice Porridge)
Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice and Shrimp
Ultimate Chicken Stevie with Rice
- 2 pounds of boneless chicken breast
- 6 tbs. butter
- 1 medium size red onion
- 6-7 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium size yellow bell peppers
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tea spoon mustard seeds
- 1 tea spoon fenugreek
- 1 tea spoon cumin seeds
- 4 tbs. yogurt
- some chili red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 cup of broth (veg. or chicken)
For the lover of chicken, this is the ultimate chicken stew. I adore chicken and have been cooking for myself for years, so, over time, I’ve come up with some delicious, tried-and-tested recipes. This one incorporates a wide range [or diversity?] of flavors because I have been traveling my whole life, picking up tastes from all over the world. Now that I live in California, it’s wonderful, because I have access to pretty much any cuisine ingredients I can imagine. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1put the rice in a bowl and fill with water. have it sit in water for about 10 minutes
- 2then put 2 tbs. butter in a good size pot, and put the rice in it.
- 3saute the rice in med-high heat with butter for 5 minutes or till you get some cripsy brown rice in the pot.
- 4then add the 1 cup of broth and another 2 cups of water to the pot.
- 5bring it to a boil and then close the lid. adjust the heat to simmer. done with the rice for now!
- 6cut the chicken in cubes in about equal sizes.
- 7add 3 tbs. butter and chicken into a deep saute pan, and start cooking at little higher than med heat.
- 8Cook the chicken for 15 minutes with a closed lid stirring occasionally.
- 9In the mean time, dice the pepper, onion and garlic
- 10At this point, you can check on the rice. If all the water is evaporated, take it off the heat.
- 11At this point, you can check on the rice. If all the water is evaporated, take it off the heat.
- 12Then, add the onion and the garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Make sure you keep the lid closed at all times so you save on cooking time.
- 13finally, add the tomatoes, and cook for another five minutes.
- 14take the chicken pan off the heat as well. season with salt to taste.
- 15pound 3 cloves of garlic, mustard seeds, fenugreek and cumin seeds in a mortar with a pinch of salt. then add the yogurt, and mix well. season with salt to taste.
- 16in a small pan melt butter with tomato paste and some chili flakes. saute it for few minutes or till its warmed up.
- 17put equal amounts of rice and chicken on plates, and drizzle yogurt sauce and the tomato sauce in the middle. enjoy it.