Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Turkey Hash with Poached Eggs
Turkey Hash Patties
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 medium celery stalk, small dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups shredded, cooked turkey (about 12 ounces)
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
This recipe transforms leftover turkey and mashed potatoes into crispy patties for an easy day-after-Thanksgiving breakfast. The turkey is shredded, and diced carrot, onion, and celery give the patties a little extra crunch and flavor. Serve these topped with a fried egg and hot sauce in the morning, or next to some Braised Brussels Sprouts or a simple salad for an easy dinner that doesn’t taste like microwaved leftovers.
Game plan: This recipe was developed with Thanksgiving in mind, but it would work just as well with shredded roasted chicken.
The patties can be formed up to 24 hours in advance. Follow the recipe through step 2, cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook the patties.
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and carrots have softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and wipe the pan clean with a dry, clean towel or paper towels; set the pan aside.
- 2Add the remaining measured ingredients to the bowl (except for the oil) and stir to combine. Using your hands, form the mixture into 6 patties (4 inches wide, about 2/3 cup each) and place on a baking sheet.
- 3Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the reserved frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add 3 of the patties and cook undisturbed until the bottoms are dark golden brown, about 8 minutes. Using a flat spatula, carefully flip the patties over and cook until they’re dark golden brown on the other side, about 8 minutes more. Transfer to a large plate and repeat with the remaining patties. Serve immediately.