Thick and Sticky Barbecue Sauce
Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook
This is the kind of sauce typically associated with Kansas City, where such recipes are closely guarded secrets.
To finish his ribs and chicken at barbecue cookoffs around the country, Dr. BBQ combines 2 cups Thick and Sticky Barbecue Sauce with 1 cup honey and 1 tablespoon hot sauce in a saucepan and simmers the mixture for 15 minutes, until it is reduced and thickened.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. As soon as the molasses dissolves, the sauce is ready to use. Store in a covered glass jar or plastic container in the refrigerator.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved