New York food and beverage expert Nick Mautone turned us on to this cocktail, a blend of sparkling wine with brandy, warm spices, and a touch of brown sugar. It’s the perfect opening to a memorable Thanksgiving, a sophisticated and seasonally-driven cocktail for a Christmas get-together, and an ideal prelude to the cork-popping moment when the New Year rings in at midnight.
For more celebratory cheer, check out our Aperol Spritz, French 75, and Peach Bellini.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 cubes light brown sugar
- 5 ounces brandy
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle chilled sparkling wine
- 1Pour the brown sugar onto a small plate. Rub the lemon wedge along the rim of each champagne glass (but not inside the rim). Holding each glass at an angle, roll the outer edge of the rim in the sugar until it’s fully coated.
- 2Mix together the cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and ginger, then divide the mixture evenly among 5 champagne glasses.
- 3Add 1 sugar cube and 1 ounce of the brandy to each glass. Stir until the spices are well blended.
- 4Divide the sparkling wine evenly among the glasses. (Be careful, the sparkling wine will fizz vigorously!) Serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved