Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
jeff/mex chicken cacciatori
Tex-Mex Macaroni and Cheese
Tex-Mex Rolled Chicken!
- 2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbs. Grated Parmesean
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Ground White Pepper
- 1/8th tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 Tbs. Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- Diced Green Chiles (for garnish)
- Above seasonings for pinching
We made Chicken Oscar for our Academy Awards party. But then we realized we had leftover flattened chicken? What’s a guy to do? We were craving something South of the Border, and this amazing feature length entree was born!
- 1Take two large sheets of plastic wrap, and set each chicken breast in it. Fold the wrap over so the breast is covered completely. Using a rolling pin, flatten each breast, starting from the thickest part, until it is about 1/2 inch even on all sides.
- 2Unwrap each breast and lay about 3 to 4 tbsp of the shredded cheddar near one end. Then roll the breast from that end, wrapping the cheese inside. Secure shut with two or three toothpicks.
- 3Mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan, cumin, pepper, and salt in a shallow dish.
- 4Melt all but 2 Tbsp of the butter. Roll each of the rolled breasts in butter, then roll in the bread crumb mixture.
- 5Drizzle each breast with some of the leftover melted butter.
- 6Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
- 7When there is about 7 minutes left of cooking time for the Chicken, begin your cheese sauce. Make a roux over medium heat, of the 2 Tbsp. remaining butter, and the 2 Tbsp flour.
- 8After a minute or two, and the flour being cooked, add 1 cup milk and simmer.
- 9Turn heat to low and lowly add the remaining sharp cheddar, a pinch of cumin, a pinch of pepper, and chili powder if you wish. Season to taste.
- 10Remove chicken from oven and plate. Top with cheese sauce and the green chilies for garnish. Serve with warm flour tortillas. Enjoy