Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Tandoori Onion Salad
- 3 red or sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green or red chile, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Eat it as a salad, as a relish, or just as a dip.
- 1Thinly slice 3 red or sweet onions, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and drain in a colander for 1 hour. Rinse and pat dry.
- 2Dissolve 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar into the juice of 1 lemon and a little hot water and mix with the onions.
- 3Add 3 thinly sliced tomatoes, 1 thinly sliced green pepper, 1 thinly sliced green or red chile, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and salt to taste. Serve as a relish with naan, pappadam, and other Indian breads or with tandoori dishes.