Smoky Bloody Mary
The ultimate hangover cocktail, a good Bloody Mary makes everything better. This smoky version uses barbecue sauce and chipotles in adobo sauce to give it a nice edge. If you’re having a hard time finding chipotles in adobo sauce, be creative and add in a different smoked pepper or look for smoky barbecue sauce.
What to buy: Chipotles are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. This recipe calls for the canned variety, chipotles in adobo sauce (aka chipotle en adobo), packed in a spicy sauce. Look for them in the Latin section of your supermarket.
This recipe was featured as part of our New Year’s Day Brunch menu.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh horseradish
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- Generous squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of celery seeds
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 4-inch-long spears
- 1 large green olive
- 1Combine all of the ingredients except the cucumber spear and olive in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- 2Shake to combine, and then strain over fresh ice into a highball glass. Garnish with the cucumber and olive.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved