Slow Cooker Steel-Cut Oatmeal
A bowl of creamy steel-cut oatmeal is a satisfying and healthy way to start the day, but the long cooking time makes these oats hard to execute on a weekday morning. Here, the slow cooker does all the work while you’re getting some shut-eye. Before bed, coat the inside of the cooker with butter to keep the oatmeal from sticking, then add in the oats, water, coconut or whole milk, and brown sugar. Stir it together, set the cooker to low, and wake up to a hot breakfast. Top it with dried fruit, nuts, or maple syrup, and blend up a fruit smoothie with all of your extra time.
- Unsalted butter
- 8 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk or 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Coat the insert of the slow cooker with a thin layer of butter. Add the water, oats, coconut or whole milk, brown sugar, and salt and stir to combine.
- 2Cover and cook on low until the oats are cooked through and creamy, about 7 to 8 hours. Stir in the vanilla and serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved