Sliced New York Strip Steak with Horseradish Mustard Sauce
Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Market
When I’m craving red meat but don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking, I make a New York strip: it cooks quickly, goes with almost anything, and has that classic steak flavor and texture. If you don’t want to fire up an outdoor grill, you can cook these in a grill pan or skillet; make sure to get the pan hot before putting the steaks in.
What to serve when: I like to keep this simple, served with something like Chili-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and a simple salad like Arugula and Endive salad with Shaved Parmesan.
- 2 14-ounce prime New York strip steaks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Horseradish Mustard Sauce
- 1Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill.
- 2Place the steaks in a glass baking dish, drizzle with the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil, and turn to coat both sides. Sprinkle the rosemary and pepper over the steaks and press them into the meat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Bring the steaks to room temperature before putting them on the grill. Sprinkle the steaks with salt just before cooking.
- 3Place the steaks on the grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side, turning only once, until an instant-read thermometer reads 110°F for rare. For medium-rare steaks, move the steaks away from the direct fire, close the lid of the grill, and cook another 7 to 8 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer reads 120°F (for 130°F for medium).
- 4Let the steaks rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes, loosely covered with foil, before slicing. Cut the steaks into 1/2-inch slices and fan the slices out on a platter or individual plates. Taste for salt and pepper and season with more if desired. Garnish with the additional rosemary and serve immediately.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved