Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Simple Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Pancakes
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Simple Blueberry Syrup for Pancakes, Waffles, etc.
- 1 Cup Frozen Blueberries (preferably Organic)
- 2 Tbsp. Raw Sugar, double if you like a really sweet syrup (offers more flavor over refined sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. Pectin, optional (but will thicken your syrup)
- 1/4 Cup or a little more water, depending on the amount of liquid from Blueberries
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar (will help bring out the tartness of the berry)
We all enjoy pancakes, waffles and other breakfast bread based goodies, and this simple recipe will make them even more enjoyable. Best of all, this recipe is far more healthy than a typical store-bought syrup, certainly no High-fructose corn syrup here…
This recipe makes a very nice and tart syrup. If you like sugary syrups, increase sugar by 50 to 100%. Always taste, because sweetness of frozen berries varies widely. Organic berries will often be sweeter.Wild blueberries, organic or not will be more tart.
- 1Set a small sauce pan on a medium to low fire, and add blueberries, sugar and water first. Begin to stir slowly, and crush the berries a little with your spoon whisk, or whatever you use to stir.
- 2Once the liquid is starting to thicken, add pectin, if using it, and add balsamic vinegar. Continue to stir. Watch your fire to make sure that nothing burns. Sugar likes to burn if left unattended.
- 3As the berries begin to break down and the mixture starts to look more like a syrup, kill the fire, and continue to stir to allow it to reduce a little more while the pan is still hot. Cover it, and use it while still hot.