Table Talk with Chef Zachary Golper of Bien Cuit |
Answers Are In! ›
Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken with White Wine Sauce...
Tropical Fruit Cooler
Shrimp with a Tropical Fruit and White Wine Sauce
- 1 lb of large shrimp peeled and tails off
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil for the marinade
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 shallots diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds and ribs removed and diced
- 1/2 of red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- 1 small can of pineapple diced (no syrup) make sure to drain it well
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of each butter and olive oil to saute vegetables
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1/2 loaf of Italian bread cut in 1" slices, lightly toasted (8 slices)
This may sound like a lot but it is really easy. It is a great easy quick dinner that is even great for dinner guests. I serve the warm tropical shrimp over nice toasted Italian bread and for me … some fresh tomato slices on the side with just a simple herbed rice wine vinegar (right from your grocery store) makes it a light dinner. Yes … it does have heavy cream, but this is a hearty dish for 4 people and is a new take on “What to do with shrimp?” You could always add some steamed asparagus, broccoli raab or fresh green beans on the side which would be a great match.
- 1First lets marinade the shrimp. In a large baggie add the shrimp lemon juice, salt and pepper and olive oil and let marinade 1-2 hours. While the shrimp marinades lets prepare the vegetables.
- 2Preparation because everything goes very quickly. Cut the shallots, red pepper, mango and jalapeno and set aside. Also dice up the cilantro and zest the lemon for later and slice your bread in 1" thick pieces. You can grill or broil the bread ahead as it does not need to be warm when you serve the dish. No butter or olive oil is needed on the bread.
- 3Now in a small saute pan lets saute the vegetables. Melt the butter and olive and add the red pepper, shallots and cook 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic, jalapeno and cook 1 more minute. Add the wine, lemon zest, salt and pepper and cook 4-5 minutes on low-medium until the wine reduces a bit.
- 4While the vegetables cook, saute or grill the shrimp. I like to cook mine on a grill pan or you can cook them right in a saute pan with just a little olive oil or butter.
- 5While the shrimp finish up, add the mango, pineapple, red pepper flakes, and cream to the vegetables and cook for a minute to heat up. Then add the warm shrimp and cilantro to the sauce.
- 6Serve the tropical shrimp sauce over the toasted Italian bread.