Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Curry-Coconut Popcorn Balls
Shito Plantain Balls
- 6 large, very soft plantains
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Efia Shito
- 1/2 cup of flour
A perfect blend of the sweetness of plantains and the spicy, fish-infused flavor of Shito. Instead of just simple deep fried plantains, a hot plantain ball blows up like a little balloon as it fries, almost like a reverse bon bon. :-) This is just another traditional recipe from back home in Ghana that I’m ready to share here in the States.
- 1blend the onions & plantains in a food processor (use the “Chop” option). Make sure that the mixture is not too smooth.
- 2Stir the flour & shito into the onion/plantain mixture.
- 3Add olive or vegetable oil to a deep fryer and heat until boiling
- 4line a bowl with paper towels
- 5Using your favorite scoop (e.g. ice cream scoop, measuring cup, your hand, etc.), scoop out heaping tablespoons of the mixture and drop into the deep fryer
- 6occasionally turn the balls to brown on both sides
- 7remove each ball when it’s brown on both sides and fully inflated, dropping them into the paper towel-lined bowl to drain
- 8serve as a side dish, dessert, or just a great snack