Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Brussels sprouts, a miniature member of the cabbage family, are often overcooked into a stinky, mushy mess. Not so here; instead they’re left raw, sliced thinly, and tossed with a Caesar-inspired dressing for a crunchy alternative to coleslaw that can stand up to braised pork chops or a thick slab of meatloaf.
Game plan: You can boil the eggs ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
This dish was featured as part of our 5 Recipes for Fall Ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot (about 1/2 medium shallot)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 peeled hard-boiled eggs (see Game Plan note)
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, discolored or tough outer leaves removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese, grated on the small holes of a box grater
- 1Combine the lemon juice, zest, mustard, shallot, and measured salt and pepper in a medium, nonreactive bowl; set aside.
- 2Grate the eggs on the large holes of a box grater; set aside.
- 3Holding on to the stem end of the Brussels sprouts, thinly slice them crosswise until you get within 1/2 inch of the stem. Discard the stems and place the sliced sprouts in a large bowl, breaking up the layers and discarding any tough pieces; set aside.
- 4While whisking continuously, slowly drizzle the oil into the shallot mixture until all of the oil is incorporated.
- 5Add the pine nuts and half of the grated eggs to the Brussels sprouts and drizzle with the dressing. Gently toss until combined. Let sit at room temperature until the sprouts slightly soften and the flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
- 6Toss the salad again to redistribute the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer to a serving dish, top with the remaining eggs, and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved