Thiscocktail from author and former Gramercy Tavern managing partner Nick Mautone is made with pear eau de vie, a side of pear, and a touch of bubbly.
What to buy: Choose a pear eau de vie that’s rich and a little sweet rather than one that’s sharp like a grappa. We like Belle de Brillet, from France.
Game plan: You can prepare the pears up to 8 hours in advance and store them in the refrigerator.
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 small, ripe pear
- 3/4 cup pear eau de vie, such as Belle de Brillet
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle chilled sparkling wine
- 1Combine lemon juice and sugar in a bowl and stir. Peel, core, and chop pear into small dice. Combine pear, pear eau de vie, and lemon juice mixture in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- 2Divide mixture evenly among six glasses. Top with sparkling wine and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved