Vegan Chocolate Sorbet
Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 1/2 lb. soft, ripe peaches, peeled, quartered & cores removed
- juice & zest of 1 lemon
Peaches a plenty!! Peach sorbet is so light & refreshing any time of the day! This is a wonderful way to end a summer dinner. The hardest part is setting the timer to 30 minutes for 2+ hours. Find the freshest, ripest & softest peaches possible (or pears will work really nicely too!)
It will keep about 3 days in the freezer before it starts becoming icy.
- 1Combine sugar & water in a pan on the stove.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce the heat & simmer for about 3 minutes.
- 3Add peaches & continue to simmer for 5 minutes (unless they are super soft–then you don’t need to cook them down).
- 4Remove from the heat for 5 minutes, then add lemon juice & zest.
- 5Pour everything into a food processor & pulse until it’s a puree.
- 6Pour the mixture into a shallow earthenware or thick porcelain dish (put this in the freezer before you begin to make freezing a bit faster).
- 7Put the dish in the freezer & whisk it up with a fork every half hour–make sure the scrap the edges & bottom too.
- 8After a couple hours (almost 3 hours of mixing) it should start coming together as a smooth frozen sorbet.
- 9Make sure that you are on top of the stirring to avoid forming ice crystals.