Orzo Salad with Tomatoes and Pine Nuts
Lemon zest and juice add punch to this light pasta salad that incorporates common summer ingredients like tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil. Pine nuts add toast and crunch to round out the flavors.
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered if large)
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, seeded and cut into small dice (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons tightly packed, finely grated lemon zest (from about 3 medium lemons)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Bring a large saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the pasta until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain the pasta well and transfer it to a large, nonreactive bowl.
- 2Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, pine nuts, olive oil, basil, parsley, scallions, lemon zest, and lemon juice and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice as needed. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved